Monday, July 18, 2011

This Week/Fortnight's Really Really Late Top 5 Songs

1) Jar of Hearts – Christina Perri

Okay, my reason for loving this song… Well, it’s pretty fucking awesome. Christina Perri has an amazing voice, and the song is beautiful. It’s so full of emotion and pain. I’m not usually into ‘mainstream’ music, but I honestly think this song has indie roots. It’s not as… clean as your typical pop song. Lyrics that speak to me the most… No, I can't take one more step towards you, ‘Cause all that's waiting is regret .Don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore, you lost the love I loved the most. I learned to live, half alive, and now you want me one more time.

2) Inventing Shadows – Dia Frampton

So this is not the first time Dia Frampton has appeared on this blog, and I guarantee it will not be the last. She has an amazing voice, and is so original. I love everything she’s done, from Dia & Ian, to Meg & Dia and now her solo career too. I’m so glad she got as far as she did on ‘The Voice’ she deserves all the success she will gain from the show. She writes amazing lyrics and sings with an honesty worthy of Suzie Quatro. Lyrics that speak to me… And you stare out the window at the passing cars, and you look at the sky, thank your unlucky stars. No you're never quite happy right where you are.

3) Scars – Papa Roach

Hmm, I can’t think of one particular reason why I love this song. It is one of those songs that will always be a favorite of mine, for so many reasons. This week I’ve been listening to this song because… well, because it was a nice change, for a little while to remember some of the music that I spent my teenage angst-ridden years listening to. It was really hard to pick out the lines that speak to me the most because the whole song speaks to me, but here are the lines that stood out the most to me when I revisited Papa Roach… I'm drunk and I'm feeling down and I just wanna be alone, you shouldn't ever come around why don't you just go home? I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut, my weakness is that I care too much and our scars remind us that the past is real, I tear my heart open just to feel.

4) Outside – Staind

This song kind of reflects a situation that is going on in the Asylum at the moment. It’s an amazing song, by an amazing band. I had heard it years ago, but came across it only a few days ago as a recommendation on iTunes. The lead singer, Aaron Lewis, has an amazing vocal range, and writes amazing lyrics. Lyrics that speak to me… But I'm on the outside and I'm looking in, I can see through you, see your true colors 'cause inside you're ugly, you're ugly like me I can see through you, see to the real you.

5) Grenade – Bruno Mars

Okay, not a song you would expect me to like, huh? Well truth is, I really didn’t like this song, until a member of the Asylum had me listen to it a few times, and now I have to say… it’s growing on me. I mean, it isn’t my typical style of music, but I’m open to anything. Plus, the lyrics are pretty good. They have a lot of meaning, and a really sweet nature. I also had to sit through the Music Video Clip *shoots eye daggers across the room at evil Bruno Mars fan* but it was actually pretty good. Lyrics that speak to me… If my body was on fire you would watch me burn down in flames. You said you loved me, you're a liar ‘cause you never ever ever did, baby.



"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."
-- Aldous Huxley

1 comment: